Aisling Annacotty Weekly Newsletter


All players need to register with the club. Registration is through


Match Reports

Girls U16s

Aisling Annacotty 4 – 2 Kilmallock

Our U16 girls had a good win Friday night under lights against the team just above them in the table. The tone was set from the kick-off, when Emma Costelloe burst through one-on-one with the keeper. Sadly, she pulled up lame just before getting her shot off and had to go off with an Achilles injury, a major blow as she was due to play for Limerick U18s versus Wexford on Sunday (along with goalie Abby McCarthy). For the next 30 minutes it was the Alicia O’Callaghan show, as she took the game to Kilmallock time and again from the right-wing position, dribbling past multiple players with apparent ease. Only ten minutes had passed when she got her first goal, a shot from the edge of the box, which the keeper let slip through her fingers. She followed that with a mazy 50-yard run that ended with a thunderous strike against the post. Meanwhile the team as a whole was playing its best football of the season, with slick passing and good decision-making all around the pitch. Sarah Hall was the driving force in midfield in Costello’s absence, displaying outstanding first touch and intelligent passing as always. Sarah Cleary was commanding at the back, having recently added composure to her long list of assets. Laoise Ní Aodha was displaying her usual box of tricks up front, combining well with strike partner Susan O’Shea, and Aisling Doran and Emer Ryan were dynamic in midfield, making up a potent front six. So, it was no surprise when a second goal went in. This time Ní Aodha jinked past her defender, and drilled a powerful shot which ricocheted to the edge of the box, where O’Callaghan was lurking, and she looped a clever shot over the keeper who was still off her line. Everything was going so well, but one had a slightly uneasy feeling that, Liverpool-like, our midfield was enjoying attacking a little too much and not providing much cover to our back four. With the excellent Clodagh Doherty dropping “into the hole” and pulling the strings, this proved to be a mistake, and when Anna Carr got in a terrific saving tackle, the ball fell to Clodagh’s sister who rifled it into the top corner. With their tails up Kilmallock went on the offensive, and Aoibhín Hayes, Íde Ní Ifearnáin, and later Katie Murphy found themselves marking two players at times. The equaliser, when it came though, was unfortunate to say the least. When a Kilmallock player was put clean through, McCarthy did excellently to charge off her line and smother the main impact of the shot. The ball though bounced towards our goal line, where Carr was again covering, and holding off a Kilmallock player. With McCarthy up quickly and charging in to dive on the ball, Carr made excellent contact, only for the ball to ricochet off McCarthy into the net. Coming in 2-2 at half-time was hard to take after all the good football we played. Credit to the girls though, they started strong again, and Ally Reeves won significant amounts of possession in stints on both wings. Nessa Kelly put on the afterburners a few times down the right wing, and Emer Ryan went on a 40-yard run that forced the keeper into a great save. It was that girl O’Callaghan again though, who regained the lead, with her best of the match, a 22-yard pile driver to the top corner. With Doran and Ryan joining the trolley-brigade on the sideline, Amy Costelloe dropped back from where she had been very effective as playmaker, to mark Doherty, which had a great steadying influence on the team. Ní Ifearnáin and Cleary also now worked out Kilmallock’s attacking formation and shut down everything coming through the middle. Nonetheless, it was a great relief to all, when Hall unleashed her own candidate for goal of the match, jinking past two defenders, before picking her spot with a low shot which the keeper could only get finger-tips to on its way into the net.

Boys U15A

Our U15A team have had a roller coaster week proving that there is nothing better than sport!

Mervue Utd 4 – 1 AAAFC

On Saturday week the boys suffered heartbreak in Galway when a strong Mervue United rallied from a goal down to progress to the last 16 of the Evans Cup.

AAAFC 7 – 0 Fairview Rangers
This Saturday saw the boys pitted against Fairview Rangers in a top of the table clash at Annacotty. This eagerly awaited clash had been postponed twice but was worth the wait!!

The home side started brightly with Kai Joyce, Adam Cummins and Jack O'Connor tormenting the visitors defence. With the posts keeping the visitors in the game, O’Connor returning to the starting line up since the last League game against Mungret was in excellent form and opened the scoring when slotting home an excellent through ball by Ronan O'Dwyer. 

This was the encouragement the home side needed and Joyce who was a constant torment to the Fairview back line set up Chris Nwanko for his first goal when crossing to the far post where he despatched clinically to leave the home side 2 up at the break.

On the resumption things got even better for the home side. With a dominant midfield of O’Dwyer, Eoghan Burke and Conor Arthur and Joyce and Nwanko too hot to handle Conor Arthur added a brace of goals and left Fairview a mountain to climb.

The home side were now dominant playing some scintillating football and Kai Joyce who would end the game with 5 assists and Chris Nwanko who would end the game with a hattrick added more pain for the visitors before Darragh Murray rounded off the scoring when combining neatly with Adam Cummins to crash home the seventh.

Those to do well for the home team included Dara Hough, Jack O'Connor, Kai Joyce and Christopher Nwanko


Under 13A AAAFC 4 – 0 Corbally United


Coffee Shop

Thank you for supporting our Saturday coffee shop. A reminder that all funds generated support the club.





This email was sent to
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
My Club Finances · Unit 8 · Dockgate, Dock Road · Galway, · Ireland